To "Big Chop" or not to?


It's snowing in Cape Town, so windy in Johannesburg and yet I've decided to "chop" that hair from my head and have no regrets at all since then :)

How it all started

I cut my hair (the first round) on November 2012 because after my two pregnancies my hair became a complete mess: "long, short, medium, kinky, dry, smooth..." I had all those kinds in one head and as it was not enough, my hair colour turned dark brown instead of remaining black.

So, I got mad and remove all those mountains and "everests" and gave myself a good ride on equal plains with no valleys hehehe.




Hold on!


Watch the full video of my big chop by following this link: 



10 months later

My hair later on grew equally and looked healthy but as I couldn't bear the pain when I had to comb the regrowths following the two relaxing phases I had in between, I started thinking it's maybe time I chop it once again but this time, much shorter than before. 


This picture was taken just hours before the second haircut. I've just removed my last weave and noticed how my hair still broke a lot on my comb even though I usually used a wide tooth.


Naturally my hair is soft, but what I can't stand anymore is the pain I used to endure while having dreads done, or putting relaxers on my scalp. Wether the hair care product brand is extra mild or not, I could only allow the mixture on my head for not more than 15 minutes. Once I was done rinsing my hair, I always had to endure burn parts :(. 



Where to cut this time?


I started using relaxers when I was in form 4 (about to obtain the ordinary level: GCE) and since that day, I've never really appreciated the benefits of having straight hair. If you feel no pain to the contrary of me, please continue your journey. Wish I were you, but I think that path is not meant for me.



I didn't know exactly what to expect from the hairdresser that day. The length of the hair I had at that time is shown right here.

In the video, you'll have all the details on how the cut went through. I'm so relieved, happy I did that. I feel so fresh every day. All that is left for me now is to shop for medium size ear rings to spare my man from looking just like him at some point hahahaha.

I know, to take the courage to cut your so long cherished hair can not be easy for everyone and also that having so short hair do not suit everyone women; but if you do not take this step at some point in your life, you'll never know how you may look.


Negative attitude from others?


The trick to getting through it is to remain strong and confident in your decision. At the end of the day, it is your hair and no one else's.




It changes your appearance completely, it's truly a new journey. Super short cuts are very low maintenance and easy to care for. In many cases, your styling routine will be cut down to mere minutes. Once you big chop, you may find yourself "singin' in the rain" because water won't ruin your style. 

This can be extremely liberating. In addition to no longer worrying about the weather forecast for the day, you can feel free to swim anytime because your 'do won't suffer from getting wet.




Whichever road you choose when you decide to stop relaxing your hair, it should be a way that works for you, your lifestyle and your hair's health.



All the best guys, love y'all



Aevermint

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BHB aka "Beignets, Haricots, Bouillie"

Liman Boucar: "Le Grand Maître d'Africa"

Grocery Shopping in Mahima